For those looking to maximize landscaping efforts in Toledo, the old-fashioned seeding approaches might not pass muster. Instead, many Northwest Ohioans are opting to hydroseed.
Hydroseeding is a highly efficient process in which a special mixture consisting of seeds, water, fertilizer and soil treatment additives is sprayed on the desired land area. This process boasts a number of benefits, including a high rate of germination and development of nutrient-rich soil — and all at a cost-effective price point.
The Hydroseeding Process
A slurry is created by mixing hydromulch (a recycled paper and wood fiber), premium seed, starter fertilizer, tackifier and other additives with water. This slurry is then sprayed onto the prepared soil with a large pressurized pump. This creates the best possible environment for seed germination and a successful, healthy lawn.
The final and most important step to hydroseeding is proper care. Hydroseeding by Rescom provides you with the materials needed to establish a healthy lawn, but the rest is up to you. After the seeding is completed, you will receive an instruction packet with all the details you need to provide adequate lawn care.
Benefits of Hydroseeding
- Cost-effectiveness — It’s around 75% less expensive than the cost of sod.
- Quality — Get a much healthier, greener and longer-lasting lawn than with sodding or hand-seeding applications.
- Water retention — With the ability to retain up to 10 times its weight in water, it’s proven to be the best method for fast and healthy germination. (This also means up to 25% less watering!)
- Erosion control — The most prevalent reason for using hydroseeding in an effort to hold moisture and protect against erosion from wind, rain, sun and pests through the binding of seed, hydromulch, fertilizer and tackifier.
- Coverage — Hydroseeding creates an evenly covered area that forms a barrier to keep stabilize seeds and retain moisture, fertilizer and other healthy growth-enhancing nutrients, ultimately resulting in a full, lush lawn.